Congratulations to our 2013 CEHD Graduates!
I am looking forward to seeing all of you on Friday, May 24, 2013, to recognize the academic achievement of our graduates during the Convocation ceremony. This is indeed an exciting occasion for all of us!
It is important for you to note that our College ceremony will be held on Friday, May 24, a day before the University’s Commencement exercises. The following is the information you will need to know regarding our college’s convocation ceremony.
Lynn Okagaki, Dean, College of Education and Human Development
11:30 a.m. — Friday, May 24, 2013, Bob Carpenter Sports/Convocation Center. (No tickets are required.) There is ample parking at the Bob Carpenter Center. Further parking information and directions are available on the Commencement UD website.
Graduates must arrive in the Bob Carpenter Center corridor area to assemble no later than 10:45 a.m. The door by the flagpoles will open at 10:15 a.m. for GRADUATES ONLY to enter beginning at that time. The main doors to the lobby will open at 10:30 for audience members.
- One of the differences between the CEHD Convocation and UD Commencement is that at Convocation all graduates and certificate recipients’ names will be called and participants will walk across the stage while being recognized. The CEHD Convocation is a personalized ceremony for our College of Education and Human Development.
- Convocation is a dignified occasion and academic regalia (cap and gown) is required.
- Academic regalia must be purchased at the UD Barnes and Noble Bookstore. The deadline to reserve regalia online from Herff Jones was April 4. If you haven’t already ordered regalia, you should go to the bookstore as soon as possible! Other graduation supplies can be ordered at www.HerffJones.com/college/ud. Contact the UD Bookstore with any questions at 302-831-2637.
- No food or drink is allowed.
- Doctoral, masters and specialist graduates MUST report to Room 102 in the Bob Carpenter Center by 10:45 a.m. for line-up instructions. It is imperative that you arrive on time!
- Line-up for undergraduate Elementary Teacher Education (ETE) majors will be in the corridor to the right as you enter through the front lobby of the Bob Carpenter Center.
- Line-up for undergraduate Early Childhood Education (ECE) and Human Services (HS) majors will be in the corridor to the left as you enter the front lobby of the Bob Carpenter Center.
- Signs will be posted on the corridor walls designating an area for each department to line-up. View an enlarged diagram of the line-up and seating areas.
- Form a single file line, keeping in mind that you will be seated with those in front of and behind you.
- Deans, department chairs and the platform group will lead the procession. The platform group will be followed by the departments/schools, which should be arranged as follows: faculty, doctoral students, master’s students, certificate recipients, and undergraduate students. Faculty and graduates will follow in single file lines, joining the other graduates lined up in the opposite corridor. Deans and department chairs will proceed to the platform. Marshals will seat faculty and graduates one row at a time in the departmental areas designated.
- Once seated, each undergraduate must complete the index card on his/her seat. Please write your name phonetically on the card. This will be collected as you approach the stage to be recognized and your name will be read from this card.
- Certificate recipients (CLSC) and then graduates (doctoral, masters, specialist, and undergraduate) will be called forward by departments to be recognized.
- Marshals will lead students to and from the stage.
Family members and guests are encouraged to arrive at the Bob Carpenter Center no later than 10:45 a.m. The ceremony will begin promptly at 11:30 a.m. because there are other ceremonies in the building following this one. Please be aware there will be traffic and plan accordingly for your arrival.
- Doors will open at approximately 10:30 a.m.
- As you enter, please proceed through the lobby to the stairs on the left, which lead to the upper level. An elevator to the upper level is also available. Those persons with disabilities or difficulty walking and one guest can enter on the ground level through the doors to the left as you enter the lobby where special seating will be provided.
- If you need a sign language interpreter or other accommodations, please contact Susan Dubil as soon as possible at email@example.com or 302-831-2396.
- We suggest you sit in a section of the arena closest to your graduate’s seating area. View the diagram of the seating area as a PDF.
- Official photographers from Grad Images will photograph each graduate as he or she is recognized on stage.
- This ceremony will last approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Only water will be sold at the Bob Carpenter Center concession stands. Families may want to make brunch or lunch plans accordingly.
- Audience members will be asked to refrain from exiting until all graduates have recessed out of the arena. At that point, audience members will be asked to exit by going up the stairs in the arena and then exiting at the designated staircases. Guests who are in special seating may exit at ground level once graduates have finished the recessional.
- At the conclusion of the convocation ceremony, we urge graduates to meet family outside the building rather than in the lobby area. The College of Agriculture and Natural Resources follows and we would sincerely appreciate your cooperation by leaving the Bob Carpenter Center promptly. Thank you and enjoy this special day!
If you have any questions about CEHD Convocation, please contact the CEHD Dean’s Office at 302-831-2396.
Doctoral Hooding Ceremony
Ph.D. and Ed.D. graduates will have the doctoral hooding ceremony on Friday, May 24, 2013, at 6:00 pm on The Green in the Blue Tent. The Blue Tent is located on the North Green between Gore Hall and DuPont Hall. Doctoral graduates and faculty should be there by 5:00 pm to line up. Questions about the doctoral hooding ceremony should be addressed to the Office of Graduate and Professional Education, 302- 831-8697.
On Saturday, May 25, 2013, you will join the entire Class of 2013 at Delaware Stadium for the University’s Commencement Ceremony. Graduates are encouraged to attend and participate in this very special ceremony. The following is information you will need to know regarding the University’s Commencement Ceremony and additional information is available on this website: http://www.udel.edu/vp-sec/commencement_spring_2013.html.
COMMENCEMENT: 9:00 a.m. — Saturday, May 25, 2013, Delaware Stadium, rain or shine
Graduates must be assembled on the field north of the football stadium, behind the College of Education and Human Development sign, no later than 8:00 a.m. We suggest that you and your family arrive early to avoid traffic congestion.
Please note the following:
- Commencement is a dignified occasion and academic regalia is required.
- Academic regalia must be purchased the UD Barnes and Noble Bookstore. The deadline to reserve regalia online from Herff Jones was April 4. If you haven’t already ordered regalia, you should go to the bookstore as soon as possible! Other graduation supplies can be ordered at www.HerffJones.com/college/ud. Contact the UD Bookstore with any questions at 302-831-2637.
- No food or drink is allowed.
- Faculty ushers will direct graduates into the stadium at the appropriate time
- Persons with disabilities: On–field seating and drop–off locations adjacent to Delaware Stadium will be available for persons with physical disabilities and difficulty walking. Arrangements for disabled seating areas do not need to be made in advance, however TICKETS ARE REQUIRED FOR EACH PERSON (the person that requires that accommodation and their guests) THAT WILL BE SEATED IN THIS SECTION. TO REQUEST TICKETS PLEASE COMPLETE THE REQUEST FORM.