Awards & Accreditations
Jennifer Naumann, ETE ’99,(2nd from left) is presented with the Bell Award for Outstanding School Leadership. Also pictured is Ernie Lopez, Ed.D. ’12, (left)
Awards and Recognition
Students who seek a degree from our College are often recognized as valued leaders in their field. Check out our recent award winners:
- Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching 2013 – the nation’s highest honor for math and science teachers was awarded to CEHD alumni, Tim Dalby ETE ’99, M.Ed. ’11, and Jeanine Moore ’91, MA ’01.
- National History Teacher of the Year 2013, Jill Szymanski, ETE ’97, MEd ’02, 4/5 grade teacher at Brandywine Springs Elementary School.
- 2013 Terrel H. Bell Award for Outstanding School Leadership. – Jennifer Nauman, ETE ’99, principal at Cape Henlopen’s Shields Elementary School, was one of seven principal to receive this national award.
- High School Teacher of the Year award (Delaware Section), 2013 – presented to John Scali, SOE, by the American Chemical Society.
- UD Wall of Fame recipients: 2013 - Timothy E. Shanahan, Ph.D. 2011 - Rita Landgraf ’80, DE Secretary of Health and Social Services and Suzanne McMahon Sears ’78, VP of Marketing, Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- WNBA draft 2013 - Elena Delle Donne, HS ’13, was selected as Rookie of the Year in the WNBA, following an exceptional career on UD’s Women’s Basketball team, in addition to demonstrating academic prowess and inspirational dedication to her family.
- Outstanding Earth Science Teacher (Eastern Division) in 2012 - Edward Cohen, ETE ’05, for his work with 8th grade students at Quibbletown Middle School in Piscataway, N.J.
- National Distinguished Principals 2012 – Dan Shelton, Ed.D ’07 and Byron Murphy, M.Ed. ’95 were nominated, representing Delaware’s Elementary and Secondary schools.
- Presidential Citation for Outstanding Achievement 2012 – Karen Stout, Ed.D. ’95, is president of Montgomery County Community College. In 2011, Katherine Hutchinson ’94, associate professor in the NY University College of Nursing
- Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching 2012 – the nation’s highest honor for math and science teachers was awarded to CEHD alumna, Mary Pinkston, MEd ’95 – one of two UD graduates to receive this recognition.
- National Superintendent of the Year finalist 2012 - Susan Bunting ’96, superintendent, Indian River School District
- Delaware Teacher of the Year 2011 - Joseph Masiello ’82, English teacher Cab Calloway School of the Arts
- Emalea Pusey Warner award 2010 – Alyson Cavanaugh graduated with an Honors degree with distinction in human services with a concentration in clinical services and a minor in psychology. The Emalea Pusey Warner award is presented to the woman selected from UD’s graduating class who most exemplifies leadership, academic success and community service
Our College is well-respected nationally.
- Our School of Education Graduate Program is consistently ranked as one of the top education schools by US News & World Report’s “America’s Best Graduate Schools.
- Our Mathematics Education Undergraduate Program for Elementary Teachers received the national 2013 Wisniewski Award, given by the Society of Professors of Education for demonstrating “singularly significant contributions to the theory and practice of teacher education.”
- The Human Development and Family Studies doctoral program was ranked among the best in the U.S. for student support/outcomes, by the National Research Council in 2010.
- The Early Learning Center was recognized by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) during their accreditation in 2011, with Commendations for 10 of their 12 measurements.
- The Delaware Center for Teacher Education not only received reaccreditation by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) for teacher preparation and advance preparation levels, but they received special congratulations as the Board “cited no areas for improvement relative to any of the standards.”
Our faculty are leaders in their field, not only recognized for their expertise, but also dedicated to supporting their students as they pursue their education.
- ISIR Lifetime Achievement Award - In 2013, Linda Gottfredson, professor, School of Education, received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the International Society for Intelligence Research (ISIR). ISIR is the focal scientific society for the world’s researchers on human intelligence.
- Alison Award- Roberta Golinkoff, H. Rodney Sharp Chair in the School of Education, was presented the 2011 Francis Alison Award, the highest honor bestowed on a UD faculty member. This honor acknowledges Golinkoff’s dedication to scholarship and teaching, including major contributions to research on language acquisition and strong public engagement with research on early learning.
- Kristine Coll, Senior Assistant Dean of Student Services, was awarded UD’s John Warren Excellence in Leadership and Service Award in 2013 for her work in restructuring our undergraduate and graduate student support services.
- Amanda Jansen, associate professor, School of Education, was presented the 2014 Early Career Award by the Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE).
- Gary Allison, professor of special education, was recognized by Kappa Alpha Theta in 2013 as one of their Top Ten Outstanding Faculty Members in the nation.
- Excellence in Advising and Mentorship Award
2103 – Marsha Baumeister, Assistant Professor of Education
2012 – Lynn Worden, Assistant Professor and Undergraduate Coordinator in HDFS, and Stephanie Kotch, Elementary Teacher Education Field Experience Coordinator for SOE, were recognized in 2011 for their outstanding work in teaching and advising.
- Excellence in Teaching Award
2013 – Gary Allison, Assistant Professor of Special Education
Our programs are nationally accredited by:
- American Council on Teaching Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Library Association/American Association of School Librarians (ALA/AASL)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Standards in Human Service Education (CSHSE)
- Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC)
- International Reading Association (IRA)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)
- National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
The University of Delaware provides a list of all accreditations received by the university.