Awards & Accreditations
Jennifer Naumann, ETE ’99,(2nd from left) is presented with the Bell Award for Outstanding School Leadership. Also pictured is Ernie Lopez, Ed.D. ’12, (left)
Awards and Recognition
CEHD alumni, faculty and staff are often recognized as valued leaders in their field. Recent award recipients include:
- Ryan Award – Lamont Browne, Ed.D, CEO Eastside Charter School was presented with this national award for exceptional leadership in closing the achievement gap in urban K-12 schools.
- Grosvenor Teacher Fellow was bestowed upon Teagan Thomas, ETE ’13, by the National Geographic Society. The award allowed Thomas, a 6th grade science teacher at Las Americas ASPIRA Academy, to travel to the Arctic Sea to research wildlife and climate, develop activities for use in her classroom.
- UD’s Presidential Citation – Emmanuel Caulk, Jr., ETE ’96 M’02, received Presidential Citation for Outstanding Achievement. He is superintendent of Portland Public Schools, the largest school district in Maine.
- Delaware Geography Teacher of the Year – Katy Brown, ETE, MI, a seventh grade social studies teacher at Gunning Bedford Middle School.
- Delaware BioScience Association Educator of Year 2014 – Brian Gross MI ’13, a biology teacher at Delcastle Technical High School.
- Grassroots Hall of Fame – Lolita Lopez, HS ’76, President and CEO at Westside Family Healthcare in Delaware, was inducted into the National Association of Community Health Centers Hall of Fame. She was also presented with the Delaware Assoc. for Public Administration’s Public Service Award in December 2013.
State Award for Nurse Practitioner Advocate – Allen Prettyman, HDFS PhD ’11, assistant professor in UD’s School of Nursing recognized by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners.
Hope Street Group National Teacher Fellow – Melissa Simpson Tracy, M.Ed. ’10, was one of 13 teachers nationwide to be selected for this yearlong fellowship.
- Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching – the nation’s highest honor for math and science teachers was awarded to CEHD alumni, Tim Dalby ETE ’99, M.Ed. ’11, and Jeanine Moore ’91, MA ’01.
- National History Teacher of the Year, Jill Szymanski, ETE ’97, MEd ’02, 4/5 grade teacher at Brandywine Springs Elementary School.
- 2013 Terrel H. Bell Award for Outstanding School Leadership. – Jennifer Nauman, ETE ’99, principal at Cape Henlopen’s Shields Elementary School, was one of seven principal to receive this national award.
- High School Teacher of the Year award (Delaware Section) – presented to John Scali, SOE, by the American Chemical Society.
- UD Wall of Fame recipients: 2013 – Timothy E. Shanahan, Ph.D. 2011 – Rita Landgraf ’80, DE Secretary of Health and Social Services and Suzanne McMahon Sears ’78, VP of Marketing, Kimberly-Clark Corporation
See Alumni award recipients from 2010-2013.
Our College is well-respected nationally.
- Our School of Education Graduate Program is consistently ranked as one of the top education schools by US News & World Report’s “America’s Best Graduate Schools. In 2014, we were ranked 30th in the nation.
- Our Mathematics Education Undergraduate Program for Elementary Teachers received the national 2013 Wisniewski Award, given by the Society of Professors of Education for demonstrating “singularly significant contributions to the theory and practice of teacher education.”
- The Early Learning Center was recognized by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) during their accreditation in 2011, with Commendations for 10 of their 12 measurements.
- The Delaware Center for Teacher Education not only received reaccreditation by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) for teacher preparation and advance preparation levels, but they received special congratulations as the Board “cited no areas for improvement relative to any of the standards.”
CEHD Faculty and Staff
Our faculty are leaders in their field, not only recognized for their expertise, but also dedicated to supporting our students as they pursue their education.
- James McKeen Cattell Fellow Award – Roberta Golinkoff, professor SOE (and Kathy Hirsh-Pasek, Temple University) were presented this lifetime achievement award by the Association for Psychological Science in 2015.
- Torch Award – Barbara Settles, HDFS professor, was recognized in 2015 for her decades-long effort to ensure women’s equality at UD.
- NCFR Fellow – In 2014, the National Council on Family Relations conferred its prestigious fellow status on Bahira S. Trask, HDFS professor, associate chair and graduate coordinator.
- Senior Scholar – James Hiebert, Robert J. Barkley Professor of Education, was presented the SIG-RME national scholar award in 2015 for significant contributions in mathematics education.
- Dybwad Humanitarian Award – Nancy Weiss, director of UD’s National Leadership Consortium on Developmental Disabilities, was presented the Humanitarian Award by the American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities for significantly promoting human welfare and social reform in ways that positively affect the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Salzburg Fellows – Rena Hallam and Martha Buell were selected to participate in the 2015 Salzburg Global Seminar, introducing early childhood development to the international conference.
- ISIR Lifetime Achievement Award – In 2013, Linda Gottfredson, professor, School of Education, received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the International Society for Intelligence Research (ISIR). ISIR is the focal scientific society for the world’s researchers on human intelligence.
Early Career Publication Award – Charles Hohensee, assistant professor was recognized by SIG-RME for his 2014 scholarly article titled “Backward Transfer: An Investigation of the Influence of Quadratic Function Instruction on Students’ Prior Ways of Reasoning about Linear Functions
- Early Career Award – Amanda Jansen, associate professor, was recognized by the Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators for demonstrating exceptional potential for leadership in mathematics teacher education within the first 10 years of her career.
- Excellence in Advising and Mentorship Award
- Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2013 – Gary Allison, Assistant Professor of Special Education
See CEHD Award recipients from 2010-2013.
Our programs are nationally accredited by:
- American Council on Teaching Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Library Association/American Association of School Librarians (ALA/AASL)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Standards in Human Service Education (CSHSE)
- Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC)
- International Reading Association (IRA)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)
- National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
The University of Delaware provides a list of all accreditations received by the university.