Food, Music, Books and Crafts
This year, the College of Education and Human Development is hosting several events to help our alumni reconnect with each other during this fun-filled weekend.
CEHD Alumni Reception – Friday, May 31, from 6-8 p.m.
Weather forecast – Sunny and warm!
This year, the College of Education and Human Development reception will take you on a ‘tour of the world’ as we highlight our study abroad program.
Join us as we reunite faculty, alumni and friends to share memories in the courtyard of the newly renovated Alison Hall. Registration is $5.
- To celebrate UD’s 90th anniversary of Study Abroad, hors d’oeuvres, beverages and live music will have an international flavor. Music compliments of Shane Palkovitz (HDFS’12)�
- Food stations:Italy/France (tortellini, baguettes) India/South Africa (cous cous, samosas) and desserts from Australia/Barbados
- Beverages: Rum drinks, Fosters beer, Italian and French wines, soda, water
- CEHD faculty will be scooping UDairy ice cream!
- Faculty and students who have participated in study abroad will share what they’ve learned during their service learning in South Africa, France, Italy, Barbados and Australia.
- Raffle baskets will feature treats from exotic locations around the world, including:
- a ceramic blue hen, travel wallet and more, compliments of UD’s Global Studies
- food and wine from UnWined Restaurant
- an italian meal from Cuchina di Napoli
- gift cards to Moshulu Restaurant in Philly, the Best of Delaware Party in Dover, wine, and magazines from Delaware Today
- and wines from around the world
- Faculty and staff include:
- Laura Glass, Brad Glass, Norma Gaines-Hanks, Kathy Minke, Rob Palkovitz, Laura Eisenman, Carol Vukelich, Julie Wilgen, Barbara Settles, Jim Hiebert, Charles Hohensee, Kellie Wise, Kristine Coll, Gail Rys, Barbara VanDornick,Gary Allison and Chris McBride.
- A tour of the beautifully renovated Alison Hall – you will not recognize it!
- Plus you will hear about exciting initiatives underway at our College.
Parking: Perkins Parking Garage is located nearby on Academy Street. Free parking is available on Laird (North) Campus. For guests staying in the Russell Complex, free parking is available after 5 p.m. on Friday in the lot behind Student Services/Pearson Hall (between Academy St. and Lovett Ave.)
Online register is now closed, but you can “pay at the door” at our reception. For more information on Reunion Weekend events, go to the Alumni Weekend website.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” Charles William Eliot
The College of Education and Human Development is sponsoring a Children’s Book Drive during Alumni Weekend. We are encouraging alumni to drop off a new children’s book at one of our three locations to help in our programs’ support of children’s literacy.
Drop off locations:
- CEHD Alumni Reception – Friday, May 31 from 6-8 p.m.
- Lunch with Mascots – CEHD Kid Zone: Saturday, June 1 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- UD’s Barnes & Noble Bookstore, 83 W. Main Street: Buy a children’s book at B&N and receive a 20% discount. Drop-offs are accepted all weekend (store hours are Friday & Saturday 10 am – 7 pm & Sunday Noon – 6 pm)
- Trabant Center during registration (Friday 4 – 10 pm and Saturday 10am – 2 pm)
Books will be distributed to UD’s Early Learning Centers, Laboratory Preschool, The College School and participating early learning centers.
Reading List Recommendations:
Children’s book will receive a 20% discount through Alumni Weekend at the UD Barnes and Noble bookstore only (does not apply to other B&N stores or online orders.)
Kid Zone – Saturday, June 1, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Join us on Saturday on the Green when CEHD hosts the Kid Zone during Lunch With the UD Mascots. Kids will enjoy crafts, book readings by our faculty and alumni, Jazzersize with UD cheerleaders, and a demonstration of “Go Baby Go” by Dr. Cole Galloway.
- 11:00 Laurie Krebs, CEHD alumna, children’s book author “Sailing Up the Galapagos.” She will also hold a book signing at Barnes & Noble from 12-2 p.m.
- 11:35 Linda Zankowsky, Assoc. Dir. DCTE, “Cat in the Hat”
- 12:20 Gabrielle Guadagnino, M.Ed. alumna, “Cinderella”
- 12:45 Debbie Seador, Teacher, The College School, “Where the Wild Things Are”
- sand art
- foam door hangers
- coloring books
UD Go Baby Go demonstration – Cole Galloway, Dir. Infant Motor Behavior Lab, invites families to come ride race cars and jumping harness built specifically for infants and young children.
During Lunch with the Mascots, attendees can have their picture taken with YoUDee and Baby Blue on the red carpet, get their faces painted, visit the balloon artist, play in the bounce house, and enjoy games, activities, food and fun! The lunch will include the announcement of the new UDairy Creamery ice cream flavor made especially for Alumni Weekend.
Then from 12:00 – 5:00 p.m. Newark Day takes place, as Main Street is closed to traffic and the street is filled with live music and performances, arts and crafts, great food, shopping, games, and children’s activities. Restaurants and stores are open and many have booths on Main Street just for the event.
To register for Lunch with the Mascots and other Reunion Weekend events, go to the Alumni Weekend website and click on the yellow “Register” box in the headline.
Alumni Weekend Details:
- See the schedule to learn about all the exciting events planned for Alumni Weekend, including Mug Night, Blue Hen 5K and Meet the Mascots.
- Want to know how many friends you’ll see? Check out the Who’s Coming page.
- To register for all the events, click on the yellow Register box at the top of the page.
- All dorms on campus are sold out, but you may still find a few rooms at local hotels.