CEHD faculty, students and alumni recognized in 2017
Faculty in the College of Education and Human Development are leaders in their field, not only recognized for their expertise, but also dedicated to supporting our students as they pursue their education.In 2017, our committed researchers, professors and staff received a number of prestigious awards.
- Distinguished Scientific Contributions to Child Development Award – Roberta Golinkoff, Unidel H. Rodney Sharp Chair, and her long-time collaborator Kathryn Hirsh-Pasek (Temple University), received this lifetime achievement award in 2017 from the Society for Research in Child Development.
- Lifetime Achievement Award – George Bear, professor, school psychology, was recognized in 2017 by National Association of School Psychologists for his contributions to research and practice in school psychology, and leadership in the profession.
- AACTE Margaret B. Lindsay Award – James Hiebert, Robert J. Barkley Professor of Education, received the 2017 Lindsay Award for Distinguished Research in Teacher Education from the American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education.
- Outstanding Dissertation Award (AERA) – Lauren Bailes, assistant professor SOE, was recognized for her dissertation, titled “A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation into the Meaning and Measure of Political Efficacy and its Application to Education,” examined political efficacy within educational policy systems” by the American Educational Research Association’s (AERA) Division A in Administration, Organization and Leadership.
- CEHD Dean’s Research Award – Joshua Wilson, assistant professor in the School of Education, was recognized by Dean Vukelich for his research incorporating computer software in the classroom designed to evaluate and improve student writing.
- CEHD Excellence in Teaching Award – William Lewis, Associate Professor SOE, received the Teaching Excellence award for his innovative teaching style, instilling critical reading, writing and thinking into the curriculum and ensuring the materials are responsive to students’ differential needs and experiences.
- UD’s Mary Custis Straughn Excellence in Higher Education Disability Advocacy Award – Laura Eisenman, an associate professor SOE, was recognized for her commitment to advocating for people with disabilities in higher education.
- Leaders to Learn From – Emmanuel Caulk ETE ’96, M ’02, was selected by Education Week as one of 2018’s Leaders to Learn From. Caulk is superintendent of Fayette County School District in Kentucky–recognized for his leadership in districtwide improvement.
- Outstanding Educator Award – Matt Schifano, ARTC, business teacher for Selbyville Middle School, was named 2017 Outstanding Educator by the National Association for Alternative Certification.
- All-Pro Teacher of the Year Award – Brooks Twilley, ARTC, STEM teacher at Mount Pleasant High School was named the 2017 Teacher of the Year by the Philadelphia Eagles and Axalta Coatings Systems.
- UD’s Interdisciplinary Research Prize was presented to Amanda Brooke Jennings, Ph.D. in Economics Education during the 2017 doctoral hooding ceremony.
- CEHD Alumni Awards – On June 2, CEHD recognized four alumni for their contributions to the fields of education and social services. Recipients (shown above) were:
- Sally Gore, M.Ed. ’76 – Leadership and Community Service Award
- Mark Holodick, Ed.D ’08 – Excellence in Education Award
- Nick Baker, Ed.D. ’09 – Service to CEHD Award
- Zoi Philippakos, Ph.D. ’12 – New Graduate Alumni Award