Employee Clearance Policy & Procedures
CEHD Employee Clearance Policy and Procedures: Required When Entering Sites with Minor Children
College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) employees (e.g., faculty, staff, post-doctoral fellows) and visiting scholars must complete the following three clearances in order to enter schools and other sites with minors (children and youth less than 18 years of age) in the state of Delaware. These clearances enable individuals to be in compliance with the Joseph R. “Beau” Biden III Child Protection Act and other Delaware state child protection laws.
Individual schools and sites may require additional clearances and/or a more frequent completion rate of the clearances listed below.
**CEHD undergraduate and graduate students who need to complete these three clearances should see the Office of Clinical Studies clearances webpage.**
1. Child Protection Registry
CEHD employees and visiting scholars must have a Child Protection Registry Clearance from the Department of Services for Children, Youth and their Families (DSCYF) sent to the designated CEHD HR Generalist before they enter a school/site with minors. This clearance is completed once.
Delaware child abuse and neglect checks must be requested through the Department of Services for Children, Youth and their Families (DSCYF), Child Protection Registry Request Web Portal.
Before beginning, have our CPR Form downloaded, filled out, and ready to upload to their system.
- Click on New Individual Registration.
- Complete all required * fields.
- Read the conditions for requesting access to the Delaware Child Protection Registry Portal. Click the box beside I ACCEPT AND AGREE.
- Click Register.
- You will be sent an email for a Welcome to the Delaware Child Protection Registry Portal notice.oMake note of your Agency/Individual ID number and login information.
- If you do not receive this within five days, call the Criminal History Unit at 302-892-4525.
- Read the entire email, click on the large link.
- Enter your new password, confirm password, and then click Change Password.
- Click Click here to create new CPR request.
- Complete all required * fields.
- Click Confirm.
- Your request is now in “Pending” status.
- Follow instructions on the page for How to upload completed consent form.
- Click Upload Files. Upload your prepared form (it must be signed!) to their system.
- Click Done.
- There will be a message at the top of the page – 1 file was added to the Child Protection Registry.
- At the top right side of the page, click Review and click Save to Submit.
- Click Save.
- Request is now contingent on payment. Payment is required for submission.
- At the top of the page, click Make CPR Request payment.
- Click Contingent Payment Requests.
- Select your file, then click on Proceed to Payment.
- Enter your payment information.
- Click Continue.
- Review and click Confirm
- Click Exit.
- Once you have received your clearance, you will need to scan and send it to email@example.com. It is not complete until it is in our office.
If you have any questions, you will need to call the DSCYF, Criminal History Unit at 302-892-4525.
2. Criminal Background Check
CEHD employees and visiting scholars must have a valid State of Delaware (SBI) and federal (FBI) criminal background check (CBC) with fingerprinting on file in the Office of the Dean before they enter a school/site with minors.
Currently, the law requires that these clearances be completed one time.
DE State Clearance (SBI) on site at one of three locations listed below ($52). Appointments are required to get fingerprinted.
- State Police Troop 2 in Bear
- State Police Troop 4 in Georgetown
- State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) Fingerprinting Facility in Dover
Federal background (FBI) clearance ($10) needs be completed by going to: https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks.
Plan Ahead – It may take up to four weeks to receive your DE State report and Federal clearances can take up to two weeks. Individuals should complete it at least one month prior to entering a school/site.
The state police/SBI and the FBI will send a copy of the report to the individual. Individuals should send a copy to Marie Senff, Education and Human Development Dean’s Office, 106J Alison Hall West.
If an individual’s CBC criminal history report includes criminal charges, the Dean’s Office representative will be notified and will arrange a meeting with the employee to determine a path moving forward.
3. Tuberculosis (TB)
CEHD employees and visiting scholars must complete the Delaware Department of Education Confidential Tuberculosis (TB) Health Questionnaire for School Employees before they enter a school/site with minors. If they answer “yes” to any of the questions on the questionnaire, then they need to secure a verification from a licensed health care provider or the Division of Public Health that they do not pose a threat of transmitting tuberculosis to the minors or staff at the school/site. Individuals will carry the questionnaire and verification form (if applicable) on their person when working at a school/site.
This clearance is completed every five years.
CEHD employees and visiting scholars complete the Delaware Department of Education Confidential Tuberculosis (TB) Health Questionnaire for School Employees form and carry it and any necessary verification on their person when they enter a school/site, enabling them to produce the document(s) if requested by the school nurse or other school/site official.
If an individual answers “yes” to any of the potential TB risk factors, they must obtain additional verification through UD’s Nurse Managed Health Center, their licensed health care provider or the Division of Public Health. Students will bring this form to the health care provider TB Clearance Form.
Thank you for your compliance with this policy–helping to ensure the safety of our children.
Updated: January 2021