Curriculum VitaeView CV
Personal WebsiteVisit Site
Media Expert ProfileView Media Expert Profile
Dr. Amanda Jansen is a professor in the School of Education at the University of Delaware. She is a mathematics educator who conducts research on students’ engagement in mathematics classrooms and teachers’ learning from their reflections on their own practice. She is committed to honoring students’ voices through her research on students’ motivation and engagement. Her most recent book, Rough Draft Math: Revising to Learn, was published by Stenhouse Publishers in March 2020.
Before working in academia, Dr. Jansen was a junior high mathematics teacher. At UD, she is invested in continually improving UD’s elementary mathematics teacher education courses through research and development work.
- Ph.D., Educational Psychology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, 2004
- B.S., Mathematics with a minor in English, University of Arizona, Tuscon, AZ, 1996
- Professor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2017–present
- Professor, Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Delaware, 2017–present
- Associate Professor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2010–2017
- Assistant Professor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2004–2010
- Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant, College of Education, Michigan State University, 1999–2004
- Mathematics Teacher (grades 7-9), Kino Junior High, Mesa Public Schools, Mesa, AZ, 1996–1999
- Sword, S. (PI), Jansen, A., Young, M., and Cuoco, Al. (co-PIs). Inquiry and Equity: Who Gets to Ask Questions in Mathematics? National Science Foundation, 2018–2020. ($599,985)
- Middleton, J. (PI), Jansen, A. (co-PI). Secondary Mathematics in-the-moment Longitudinal Engagement Study (SMiLES). National Science Foundation, 2017–2020. ($1,463,636)
- Berk, D. (PI), Hiebert, J., Flores, A., (co-PIs). A Longitudinal Study of the Effects of K-8 Mathematics Teacher Preparation on Teacher Knowledge, Teaching Practices, and Student Learning. National Science Foundation, 2009–2014. ($1,983,506). Amanda Jansen served as a faculty researcher on this project.
Recent Professional Awards
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 2018
- Linking Research to Practice Outstanding Publication Award, National Council for Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), 2018. Jansen received this award with three Delaware teachers for their article, “Rough Draft Talk in Mathematics Classrooms.”
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, American Educational Research Journal, American Educational Research Association (AERA), 2015
- Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Education and Human Development, University of Delaware, 2014
- Early Career Award, Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE), 2014