Graduate Student Orientation Information
Welcome to the graduate programs in UD’s College of Education and Human Development!
You are joining a talented group of students who are committed to developing academically and professionally in a rigorous and supportive academic environment. Below is an overview of the orientation process, outlining the steps a new graduate student should take upon being accepted to our College.
A few days after accepting your offer of admission, you should have received an email containing login information and your PIN. That information will allow you to log in to UDSIS, where you can register for courses, view and pay your bill and print your schedule. If you encounter any trouble with your login, please contact the Help Desk.
Your graduate program will send you a letter providing you the name of your advisor and a list of recommended courses for your first semester.
Once you have received your PIN and contacted your faculty advisor to verify the courses to take, you can begin your course registration. It is very important that you contact your advisor before registering for courses, to ensure you have the appropriate classes.
If you have credits to transfer that were taken as a Professional and Continuing Studies student (or CEND—Continuing Education Non-degree) or at another institution, you will need to complete the Transfer of Graduate Credit form. Please be aware of policies such as 9-credit limit on transfer credits. For more information, please see Request For Transfer Graduate Credit.
.After registering for classes, your account will be charged the appropriate tuition. You can view your account statement through UDSIS and pay your bill from there. Students who receive scholarships will have the tuition applied to their accounts. If you have questions about your bill, you can contact Student Financial Services.
We offer several orientation activities to welcome you as a new graduate student and introduce you to the University of Delaware. Visit the CEHD calendar to find the appropriate orientation sessions for your category. Some of these orientation sessions are required, so please plan your schedule accordingly.
- Orientation for new full-time UD graduate students
- Orientation for new International Graduate Students
- On-boarding for new funded graduate students not previously on-boarded;
- College of Education and Human Development orientation and welcome picnic
- HDFS departmental orientation
- Establish an email account – When you accepted your admission offer, it should have triggered administrative processes like establishing a UD email and log-in. If you have not gotten that information, please check IT’s webpage.
- Health Insurance – UD offers Health and Dental insurance. All full time graduate students are required to provide evidence of health insurance and will automatically be enrolled in the UD health insurance plan. If you have coverage through another source or want to opt out of the UD Plan, it is mandatory that you complete the waiver form in early September. If you do not submit the waiver form by this date, you will automatically be committed to paying for Health Insurance for this academic year.
- University ID card – Students are required to carry their University of Delaware UD#1 Card at all times. The ID Card office is located at Student Services Building, 30 Lovett Avenue. Regular office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm. Contact the ID Office at (302) 831-2273 or email@example.com if you have questions.
- Funding Opportunities (see Funding tab)– The Office of Graduate and Professional Education identifies fellowships and awards for master’s and doctoral students offered through the University, as well as external foundations and institutions
- Graduate Resources – Links to other general graduate student information (tuition, parking, student life, emergency numbers, etc.) can be found on the Graduate and Professional Education website.