Curriculum VitaeView CV
Media Expert ProfileView Media Expert Profile
Dr. Joshua Wilson is an associate professor in the School of Education at the University of Delaware. His research broadly focuses on ways to improve the teaching and learning of writing and specifically focuses on ways that automated writing evaluation systems can facilitate those improvements. His research has been supported by grants from federal, foundation, and industry sponsors and has been published in journals such as Computers & Education, Journal of Educational Computing Research, Journal of Educational Psychology, and Journal of School Psychology among others. Dr. Wilson sits on the editorial boards of such top journals as Gifted Child Quarterly, Journal of Educational Psychology, and Journal of Learning Disabilities.
He also helps coordinate the M.Ed. in Exceptional Child and Youth program and teaches courses on elementary special education methods.
Prior to earning his Ph.D., Dr. Wilson was a special education teacher for six years.
- Ph.D., Special Education, University of Connecticut, Mansfield, CT, 2014
- M.S., Special Education, Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, CT, 2005
- B.A., Religion, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT, 2000
- Associate Professor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2020–present
- Assistant Professor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2014–2020
- Graduate Research Assistant, Neag School of Education, University of Connecticut, 2009–2014
- Special Education Teacher, grades 4 and 6, Norton Elementary School, Chesire, CT, 2008–2009
- Special Education Teacher, grades 3–9, High Road Student Learning Center, Wallingford, CT, 2003–2008
- Palermo, C. (PI), Wilson, J. (PI), Crissman, M., Coles, J., May, H., & MacArthur, C. A. (co-I). Efficacy of “MI Write” Automated Writing Evaluation for Improving Writing Outcomes of Students who are Black, Hispanic, and Experiencing Poverty. Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, 2020, 2.5 years. ($1,490,639)
- Desimone, L. (PI), Hill, K., Blackman, H., Wilson, J., (co-PI), & Litke, E. The Professional Learning Partnership Study. Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, 2019-2022.($1,500,000).
- Wilson, J. (PI), Beard, G., & MacArthur, C. A. A Researcher-practitioner Partnership Examining the Use of Automated Essay Evaluation Software for Improving Students’ Writing Achievement. U. S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences, Researcher-Practitioner Partnerships in Education Research, 2017–2021. ($399,999)
- Wilson, J. (PI). Automated Formative Writing Assessment Using a Levels-of-language Framework: Exploring Construct and Predictive Validity in Grades 3-5. Spencer Foundation, Small Research Grant Program, Teaching, Learning, and Instructional Resources initiative, 2017–2019. ($49,581)
- Wilson, J. (PI). PEG Writing: An Analysis of its Effects on Achievement in Small-scale and Large-scale Instructional Contexts. Delegated Authority Contract with Measurement Incorporated, 2016–2017. ($43,742)
- Wilson, J. (PI). Using PEG Writing in Middle and Elementary Schools to Support the Teaching and Learning of Writing. Delegated Authority Contract with Measurement Incorporated, 2015–2016. ($30,043).
Recent Professional Awards
- Gerard J. Mangone Young Scholars Award in the category of Social Sciences and Humanities, University of Delaware, Francis Alison Society, 2019.
- Dean’s Faculty Research Award, College of Education and Human Development, University of Delaware, 2017
- Harris Kahn Dissertation Award, Department of Educational Psychology, University of Connecticut, 2015
- Student Research Award in the quantitative design method area, Council for Exceptional Children, Division of Research, 2014