Curriculum VitaeView CV
Dr. Gary Stephen Allison is an assistant professor specializing in special education in the School of Education at the University of Delaware. His teaching and research interests include special education teaching methodology and curriculum, as well as functional assessment/analysis and effective treatment of health or life-endangering behaviors in students with severe disabilities. His other interests include creating meaningful educational experiences for students with severe disabilities and professional development of special education teachers. He has been working with students with autism and other severe or profound disabilities for over 40 years in public schools, homes, and private residential schools.
In his many years at the University of Delaware, he has received 24 awards for service and teaching, among them the Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, Professor of the Year, Golden Key Professor of the Year, and the Kappa Delta Pi Professor of the Year. He is the faculty advisor for the University of Delaware Student Council on Children with Special Needs and UD Best Buddies and serves as the coordinator of the autism certification program. He also serves on the boards of the Epilepsy Foundation of Delaware, Autism Delaware/POWR and is vice-president of the Delaware Association for Behavior Analysis.
- Ed.D., Wilmington University, Wilmington, DE, 2000
- M.Ed., Elementary Counseling and Special Education, West Chester University, West Chester, PA, 1984
- B.A., Psychology, Speech, and Communications, West Chester State College, West Chester, PA, 1978
- Assistant Professor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2000–present
- Instructor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 1991–99
- School Year Behavior Analyst, Colonial School District, 1998–99
- Behavior Analyst/Director of Professional Development, AuClair School, 1995–98
- Behavior Analyst/Administrator, Bancroft BTS, 1994–95
Recent Professional Awards
- Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Delaware, 2013
- National Professor of the Year, Kappa Alpha Theta, 2013
- National Top 10 Professors at Affordable Colleges Award, 2013
- Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Delaware, 2002