Curriculum VitaeView CV
Dr. Elizabeth Soslau is a professor in the School of Education at the University of Delaware. She focuses her teaching, research, and service efforts on Tzedakah (justice) and Tikkun Olam (repair the world). Her research focuses on experiential learning opportunities in classrooms, schools, and the community. Elizabeth seeks to explore and enhance teaching practices that support schoolchildren’s understandings of systemic social ills, develop critical consciousness, and strengthen their voice and activism skills.
Elizabeth has published The Comprehensive Guide to Working with Student Teachers: Tools and Templates to Support Reflective Professional Growth with Teachers College Press. Her second forthcoming book (2024: Spirit Publishing) is focused on enhancing teachers’ skill sets around creating contexts for learning that are inclusive, responsive, and sustaining.
Her work has appeared in outlets such as the Journal of Teacher Education, Teaching and Teacher Education, Journal for Multicultural Education, Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship, and The Jewish Exponent. She is also a reviewer for numerous journals, a long-time board member of the Philadelphia-based non-profit Need in Deed, and serves on the International Advisory Board for the Studying Teacher Education journal.
Her clinical work includes teaching graduate and undergraduate courses in critical reflection, equity, case study, and action research methods.
Elizabeth’s other important work is serving as a very proud mother of the hilarious and creative Harry Counter. She is also a dedicated partner to Chris Counter. Before pursuing her Ph.D., Elizabeth taught middle school in the Philadelphia School District.
- Ph.D., Cognition, Development, and Instruction, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 2010
- M.A., Education, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 2009
- M.S., Science of Instruction K-8, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 2004
- B.S., Corporate Communications, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 2002
- B.A., Literature, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 2002
- Professor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2022–present
- Associate Professor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2017–2022
- Interim Director, Delaware Center for Teacher Education (DCTE), University of Delaware, 2017
- Assistant Professor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2010–2017
- Instructor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2007–2010
- Middle School Teacher, Grover Washington, Jr. Middle School, Philadelphia, PA, 2004–2007
- Middle School Teacher, Renaissance Advantage Charter School, Philadelphia, PA, 2003–2004
- Riley, K. (PI) and Soslau, E. (co-PI). From Theory to Practice: Critical Service-Learning in Urban Elementary and Middle School Classrooms. Spencer Foundation, Small Grants Program, 2019–2021. ($49,614)
- Flynn, J. (PI), de Novais, J., Litke, E., Rolón-Dow, R. and Soslau, E. (co-PIs). Racial Literacy in Elementary Teacher Education (ETE). University of Delaware, Center for the Teaching and Assessment of Learning, Instructional Improvement Grant, 2019–2020. ($5,000)
- Soslau, E. (PI). Need in Deed Critical Learning Collaborative. University of Delaware Center for the Study of Diversity and the Delaware Center for Teacher Education, Center for the Study of Diversity Faculty Scholars Research Grant, 2019–2020. ($2,500)
- Soslau, E. (PI). Need in Deed Learning Collaborative: Critical Service Learning and Culturally Responsive Pedagogy at Warner Elementary School, Wilmington, DE. University of Delaware Partnership for Public Education, Partnership for Public Education Fellowship with matching funds from the School of Education, 2018–2019. ($20,0000)
- Soslau, E. (PI). Re-thinking the Student Teaching Curriculum: Noting and Addressing Bias in the Classroom. University of Delaware Center for the Study of Diversity and the School of Education, Center for the Study of Diversity Faculty Scholars Research Grant, 2017–2018. ($3,995)
Recent Professional Awards
- Recipient, Faculty Senate Excellence in Teaching Award, 2023
- Campus Compact Mid-Atlantic P20 Partnership Award, Campus Compact, 2020
- 2020 Clinical Practice Fellow, Association of Teacher Educators (ATE), 2020
- Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Education and Human Development, University of Delaware, 2018
- Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing, Teaching and Teacher Education Journal, 2016
- Nominee for the Excellence in Undergraduate Academic Advising and Mentoring Award, University of Delaware, 2014, 2016, 2017