The College of Education & Human Development is dedicated to developing solutions to the problems faced by schools and the challenges encountered by children, youth and families around the world.
Our Mission is to make a difference, by advancing knowledge through research; preparing leaders in education and human services; and serving the citizens of Delaware, the nation and the world.
- Academic Units – School of Education and Human Development & Family Sciences
Our graduate education programs were ranked 39th in the nation by U.S. News & World Report in 2022. Our online graduate education programs were ranked 28th in 2022.
- Centers – 5 Research Centers and 3 Living Learning Laboratories, along with support services for students and the community. In 2016, our education centers provided professional development training to 10,000 early childcare providers, 2,000 educators and 500 school leaders in Delaware and neighboring states.
Number of Degree Programs
- 1 Associate of Arts
- 4 Undergraduate
- 8 Master’s
- 5 Doctoral
New Programs and Initiatives
- Created a new major, Human Relations Administration, for undergraduates interested in becoming an HR specialist.
- Introduced a Master’s degree in Early Childhood Development and Programming and two online M.Ed.s in Literacy and Exceptional Children & Youth.
- Established global partnerships in Greece and the Grand Caymans, providing students learning opportunities around the world.
- Created MakerSpace labs in the Educational Resource Center and The College School, for students to learn using hands-on materials – 3-D printers, Scratch programming, squishy circuits, sewing and building blocks.
- Coordinate the UD Scholars program, bringing 30 underrepresented students to UD in August for intensive immersion
Research Funding and Initiatives
$20 million externally-funded expenditures in 2017 (see our Research website for details)
- Implementing ESL reading interventions
- Evaluating writing instruction for students in first grade and community college
- Working to reduce food insecurity in the Bahamas
- Investigating obstacles to rehabilitation success in substance users due to stigma
- Developing math instruction to address learning difficulties, especially with fractions.
- Created Orthopedics in Action, an interdisciplinary education kit with engineering