Curriculum VitaeView CV
Personal WebsiteVisit Site
David J. Blacker is a professor specializing in the philosophy of education in the College of Education and Human Development’s School of Education at the University of Delaware. He is also a professor in UD’s Legal Studies program.
Blacker has written six books including, most recently, Deeper Learning with Psychedelics: Philosophical Pathways Through Altered States (forthcoming, 2023), The Falling Rate of Learning and the Neoliberal Endgame (2013), What’s Left of the World: Education, Identity, and the Post-Work Political Imagination (2019) and Democratic Education Stretched Thin: How Complexity Challenges a Liberal Ideal (2007). The Falling Rate of Learning was recently the subject of a special issue of Educational Theory, the leading U.S. philosophy of education journal. He has also authored over 100 sole-authored academic publications and presentations, including contributions to edited volumes with Oxford University Press, University of California Press, Blackwell, Springer and others.
A highly sought-after speaker, Blacker has been invited to provide keynote lectures at institutions worldwide, including McGill University, University of Ottawa, University of Cambridge (UK), University of Edinburgh, University of Wales, University of London, University of Illinois, National Defense University (School of Joint Strategic Studies, Washington, DC), Arizona State University, Westminster University (UK), Columbia University, Haus der Kulturen der Welt (Berlin), the Museo d’Arte Contemporanea Roma (Rome), Kazi Nazrul University (West Bengal, India), the Philosophy of Education Societies of both Great Britain and the U.S., and both the British and American Educational Studies Associations. Blacker has been quoted in The Guardian (UK), The Chronicle of Higher Education and The New York Times. He has been the main guest on dozens of podcasts, and has received multiple “best interview of the year” awards.
Blacker has received both Outstanding Teacher and Distinguished Faculty awards from his students and colleagues.
Prior to joining UD, Blacker held positions at Illinois State University and Teachers College, Columbia University.
- Ph.D., Philosophy of Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL, 1994
- M.A., Philosophy, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL, 1990
- B.A., Plan II Honors, University of Texas at Austin, TX, 1988
- Professor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 2005–present
- Professor, Legal Studies, University of Delaware, 2006–present
- Director, Legal Studies Program, University of Delaware, 2013–2016
- Associate Professor, Legal Studies, University of Delaware, 2001–2005
- Assistant Professor, School of Education, University of Delaware, 1998–2000