Program Director, Master of Social Work
Ohiro Oni-Eseleh is the program director for the College of Education and Human Development’s (CEHD) forthcoming master’s in social work program at the University of Delaware.
His research has focused on the role of social work in alleviating poverty, the marginalization of historically underrepresented groups, eldercare and partnerships between home healthcare nurses and social workers, among other topics. His work has been published in the International Journal of Research in Business, Economics and Management, Paradigms and the American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, among other venues.
Prior to joining CEHD, Dr. Oni-Eseleh served as the assistant dean of program development and community engagement in Adelphi University’s School of Social Work. He also served as the director of Adelphi’s Hudson Valley Center. In these roles, Dr. Oni-Eseleh taught across the master’s of social work curriculum and was instrumental in expanding the programs and services of Adelphi’s Hudson Valley Center.
In addition, Dr. Oni-Eseleh obtained funding for student scholarships, fostered community partnerships that resulted in increased internship opportunities for students and created a mentoring program for students interested in conducting and presenting their research. Outside of his work with students, Dr. Oni-Eseleh also worked to develop a strong alumni network and grow the university’s continuing education program in the Hudson Valley area.
Dr. Oni-Eseleh brings a strong commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion to UD. While at Adelphi University, he co-chaired the Anti-Racism Taskforce of the School of Social Work and served as a member of Adelphi University’s Diversity Implementation team. He created the first anti-racism initiative at the Hudson Valley Center and led the development of a policy forum for the exchange of ideas regarding social policies that affect underserved and vulnerable groups.
Prior to entering academia, Dr. Oni-Eseleh held management positions in several healthcare organizations, supervised their social work departments and led efforts in program development. In collaboration with others, he developed best practices and treatment approaches, staff trainings and performance improvement initiatives.
Dr. Oni-Eseleh also served as second vice president of the New York State Social Work Education Association.
- Ph.D., Adelphi University, Garden City, NY, 2021
- M.B.A., TUI University, Cypress, CA, 2008
- M.S.W., Adelphi University, Garden City, NY, 1993
- B.A., University of Ibadan, Nigeria, 1983
- Program Coordinator, Master of Social Work, College of Education and Human Development, University of Delaware, 2023-present
- Assistant Dean for Program Development and Community Engagement, School of Social Work, Adelphi University, 2021-2023
- Director, Hudson Valley Center, School of Social Work, Adelphi University, 2015-present
- Adjunct Professor, School of Social Work, Adelphi University, 2014-2023
- PI, Dyson Foundation Grant, 2022. ($100,000)
- Co-PI, New York Community Trust, 2022. ($1.25 million)
- Dyson Foundation Grant for Nonprofit Management Certificate Program, 2020-2021. ($10,000)